Five years ago today I almost burned my kitchen down. I was cooking shrimp and asparagus in my Long Beach, California kitchen, then suddenly my range and cabinet were on fire. It’s amazing how quickly this thing grew. After I put the fire out on the stove top, something told me to open up the top cabinet. I’m very clear what that “something” was, no one but the Holy Spirit would have given me that nudge. All in a matter of seconds the fire grew inside the cabinet, it caught my oil bottle on fire, and began to quickly grow up the fan pipes above the stove. Another five minutes the entire internal wall would have been ablaze, then the whole kitchen, then the whole condo.
As the fire department arrived I stood outside with a 1 year old Caleb on my hip shaking from what could have happened. This was a very strange time in life for me as I’d been separated from my husband for only about 3 weeks. I called him to tell him what had happened. I guess I shouldn’t have been shocked to receive a very casual unconcerned response from him but I was shocked nonetheless. You would think that I called about a paper cut and not that his son and wife were just in a situation that could have risked life and limb. He is now my ex-husband.
I was thrust into the fire so to speak that day. I knew that my marriage was over, but I did not know that I would no longer have a father for my son, this day was the first sign to this reality. As the fire department used heavy machines to push the smoke smell from my home, and I wiped down heavy soot from ceiling and cabinets, I was taking the first steps to heavy heart cleaning as well.
Two things I took from this experience. 1.) Do not store your oil or grease above your stove and oven. 2.) No matter what is on fire in my life, I can overcome it.
Fires are messy and unexpected when they happen. But in the end they leave room for new growth and they tend to form diamonds. I’m just sayin.